Thursday, March 28, 2019

And...The Light Post Wins

I won my singles earlier today fairly easy, 6-2, 6-0. She was a nice girl from Houston who belongs to the Houston Racquet Club where we are playing.  She was rusty after a long layoff, but could slap a few winners here and there. Once I saw she was prone to errors I was able to relax and play pretty well. I’ve been serving good all week.

Our semi final doubles match this afternoon had an interesting finish. Fran and I played very well and won the first set 6-2 against #1 seeds and our friends Mary and Erika. They started playing better and stopped missing so much.  We went down a break. We were still having great points. Somewhere in the 5the game we had a crazy point with me lobbing and retrieving Mary’s overheads. I knew she would aim wide with her last overhead so I took off to my left. I had it...or so I thought. I felt like I was returning the ball, but just before my racquet could touch the ball I ran head on to a padded light post on the court. I was stunned and fell over. A brick wall couldn’t have stopped me any harder. After taking a few minutes to gather myself, I tried to continue playing. In a short time my neck and shoulder started to stiffen. After a visit from the trainer, and a tough conversation with Fran, I decided to retire. I was (and still a little ) devastated.  I have been working so hard, and started playing well, especially in doubles this week, and for something like this, that is so random, to happen is hard to swallow.

The trainer work on my neck for a while and it seemed to have help relax my muscles. I may be sore, and might have a bruise tomorrow,  but I’m ok. Probably a little stunned trying to figure out exactly what happened....I know I worried Phil to death, but Fran made sure he knew I was ok. We’ve talked a bunch and I can feel his love all the way to Houston.

Fran plays her singles final tomorrow morning, and chances are we won’t play our doubles 3/4 playoff.  If I’m feeling ok and Fran has it left in her, then we’ll play.

Too much to think about right now. Tomorrow is a new day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your mishap but glad that you are OK