Friday, October 25, 2019

From Hanging on to Hanging Out

I knew today was going to be a good day.  Fran played a flawless, error free semifinal singles match this morning. She gave a clinic to her opponent, winning 6-0, 6-0.  She was awesome.

I felt good on the warmup court this morning.  Fran and I warmup again before our doubles and then I did a few more minutes with another player who needed a quick hit. I was ready to go. Playing against your friends is always hard, but you have to put all that aside when you walk on the court.

Our match was a carbon copy of yesterday...we lost the first set 6-0.  I have no words.  But we started fighting back. Points turned into games.  At 4-4 we were up 15-40 to go up 5-4 with me serving for the set.  Somehow we let the game slip away. Instead I was serving to stay in the match. I think we lost my serve at love.  We lost. 6-0, 6-4. Dang it. I really thought we were going to turn it around like we did yesterday.  We put ourselves in such a deep hole when we lose the first set so quickly.  Gotta figure that one out.

So now tomorrow Fran plays her singles final at 8:00.  We were to play our 3/4 playoff later in the morning but our opponents defaulted. We ended up finishing third in doubles with a bronze ball.

We’ve changed our flights to take the red eye home late tomorrow night.

Lots to think about and work on to get ready for the next one! I’ll enjoy the day watching tennis and hanging out.

No comments: